Can I use the 12 W usb power adapter to charge my iPhone 5
- Asked by fn from Bethesda
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the 12 W usb power adapter to charge my iPhone 5)
1 Answer from the Community
Yes, you can use this charger. You can always use a power adapter with a higher wattage rating for *any* device.† This is because the wattage rating is the maximum number of watts the device is *capable* of outputting, not the amount it *will* output. It's the connected device which determines how much power is actually drawn.
The same isn't true for output voltage, however. You need the output voltage to match that of the device. In the case of USB chargers, you don't need to worry about this because the USB specification always uses a fixed voltage.
The cable which you need would be the same as the one that came with your iPad mini 2.
† But you should never use a power adapter with a rating less than that of the device to which it connects, even if it appears to work. Doing so may overheat the power adapter, permanently damage it, or might even lead to a fire.
- Answered by M. K from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can this adapter be used with a Lightning to USB Cable to charge an iPad or iPhone using the 29W USB-C Power Adapter?
- Asked by David G
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be used with a Lightning to USB Cable to charge an iPad or iPhone using the 29W USB-C Power Adapter?)
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter
Can Apples 12W usb power adapter be used to charge the case and iPhone 7 together?
- Asked by Daniel N from Chico
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Apples 12W usb power adapter be used to charge the case and iPhone 7 together?)
- Asked about: iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case - (PROD…