Can i use the Time Capsule only as a backup via wifi with my present linksys router and not use the Time Capsule as a router.
2 Answers from the Community
This is an excellent question, and the prior response did not answer it. There are many good reasons why you might want to wirelessly back up one or more Macs to the Airport Time Capsule, but not be using the Time Capsule for your primary WiFi source. Yes, you can have the Time Capsule "join" an existing WiFi network. Can you then back up your Macs to it, when both the Time Capsule and the Macs are on a different WiFi source? The answer is not apparent from the setup guide or specifications.
- Answered by Gary H from Pinehurst
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I do not know why you do not want to use the advance technology inside the new Time Capsule. You can turn off wifi and have all traffic go via ethernet connected to your Linksys. It would be a shame.
Better off configure the Time Capsule to "join" your existing network. This is an option when setting it up. You need to know the SSID name, and password of your wifi key.
- Answered by Frederic L
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can I use Thunderbolt to Gigabit ethernet adapter for backup in my time capsule?
- Asked by Sebastiano L from Bergamo
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use Thunderbolt to Gigabit ethernet adapter for backup in my time capsule?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Ada…
Can I use Express as router connected to modem & Time Capsule as a way to extend wifi signal?
- Asked by Raul C from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use Express as router connected to modem & Time Capsule as a way to extend wifi signal?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express
Does Airport Extreme work with Time Capsule?
- Asked by Margaret S from Tiverton
- Flag as inappropriate (Does Airport Extreme work with Time Capsule?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme