Does this adapter help connect a MacBook Pro to a Thunderbolt 2 docking station?
Hi there, I've got a StarTech Thunderbolt 2 docking station that I'm using with two HP monitors (VGA cable DisplayPort cable, Thunderbolt 3 cables). Will this adapter help connect the monitors via the docking station to my 2018 13" MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Evelina K from Strathfield
- Flag as inappropriate Does this adapter help connect a MacBook Pro to a Thunderbolt 2 docking station?
1 Answer from the Community
Yes, you can use this adapter to connect a Thunderbolt 2 dock with two displays to a 2018 13" MacBook Pro. You'll need to connect your Thunderbolt 2 cable between the Thunderbolt 2 dock and the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. It sounds like you have two HP monitors connected to a StarTech Thunderbolt 2 dock. They will be limited to 4K 30Hz or 2560x1600 60Hz. One connects via HDMI. The other connects via DisplayPort from the second Thunderbolt 2 port. It should all behave the same when you connect the Thunderbolt 2 dock to a Thunderbolt 3 computer using the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. Some Thunderbolt 2 docks like the OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock can support a display from either the Thunderbolt 2 port or the HDMI port, but not both at the same time unless one display is a Thunderbolt display or is connected to a different Thunderbolt device later in the Thunderbolt device chain (which is basically what a Thunderbolt display is - a Thunderbolt device with a display connected internally to it). Thunderbolt 3 docks can support two 4K 60Hz displays (twice the bandwidth of Thunderbolt 2).
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Is there an adapter available to connect a firewire soundcard to the new mac book pro thunderbolt?
- Asked by Anonymous A
- 12 Jun 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Is there an adapter available to connect a firewire soundcard to the new mac book pro thunderbolt?
Does it support thunderbolt 2?
- Asked by Henry A from Fairfield
- 24 Sep 2017
- Flag as inappropriate Does it support thunderbolt 2?
I have 2 Thunderbolt Monitors that have USB and Thunderbolt 2 cables. Can I connect those 2 displays to this dock and then use both monitors?
- Asked by Graham J from Kirkland
- 24 Jun 2019
- Flag as inappropriate I have 2 Thunderbolt Monitors that have USB and Thunderbolt 2 cables. Can I connect those 2 displays to this dock and then use both monitors?