Will this allow a pre-2016 Thunderbolt Display to charge a 2016 rMBP? Or is an additional charger cable necessary?
1 Answer from the Community
No, it will not. Thunderbolt 2 does not provide much power over its connection (roughly equivalent to an iPhone USB charger brick.) You would need to have a separate USB-C power cable plugged in to the MacBook Pro - the Thunderbolt Display will not provide power through this. (The Thunderbolt Display provided power through a separate MagSafe connector, there is no adapter to "combine" Thunderbolt and MagSafe in to one Thunderbolt 3/USB-C plug.)
- Answered by Ed H from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Does this cable connect macbook 2016 to imac 2019, and allow for macbook as 2nd display?
- Asked by Nicholas R from San Diego
- 5 Jun 2020
- Flag as inappropriate Does this cable connect macbook 2016 to imac 2019, and allow for macbook as 2nd display?
Is this the correct cable for transferring data from 2016 MBP to the new 2019 MBP?
- Asked by Robyn A from El Sobrante
- 13 Nov 2019
- Flag as inappropriate Is this the correct cable for transferring data from 2016 MBP to the new 2019 MBP?