Would I be able to capture video from tape using 2 adapters? Using the adapters - Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt 2; then Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3.
1 Answer from the Community
Yes, the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter works with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter. I have tried it.
A previous version of Apple Support document HT207266 which was previously named "Connect devices and displays with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter" specifically mentions that "Support for Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter is limited to devices that require less than 10W of power." That same document also states that the Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter is also supported.
The Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter store page says that it "supplies up to 7W for bus-powered peripherals".
The amount of power doesn't matter if the device is self-powered instead of bus-powered.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can I use the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter to daisy chain a FW 800 External HD to a Thunderbolt External HD?
- Asked by Robert P from San Anselmo
- 9 Sep 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter to daisy chain a FW 800 External HD to a Thunderbolt External HD?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter