Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
729 Questions from the Community
I have a time capsule for my main Wifi network... can this base station be used to extend my wireless network or do I need something different?Best Answer:
You can use this an extender (in extender mode). You will just have to enable it.
- Answered by Luke T from Calgary
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have a time capsule for my main Wifi network... can this base station be used to extend my wireless network or do I need something different?)
Can airport express connect to the internet via an internet data card
- Asked by Alan S from Banglamung,
- Flag as inappropriate (Can airport express connect to the internet via an internet data card)
If by Internet Data Card, you mean a cellular SIM card, then no.
- Answered by David H from Cotati
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can airport express connect to the internet via an internet data card)
Can I use the new airport express to extend (bridge) my airport extreme
- Asked by Nicolas S from Plymouth
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the new airport express to extend (bridge) my airport extreme)
Yes, and it's fantastic!
- Answered by Gabriele B from Nutley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use the new airport express to extend (bridge) my airport extreme)
What is the range the Express Base?
Live in 1,000 sq. ft. home ranch. Will this suffice or is the other Airport station recommended?
- Asked by Ricardo H from Thornton
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the range the Express Base?)
I just picked up a new Airport Express. I've been using it for the last few days as my only wireless router. My house is a 4 level backsplit about 1400 square ft.
The express is in the basement with my cable modem. I've had no signal strength issues at all. It seems to be covering my entire house with no issues.
I really love this thing. I've been streaming to my apple tv with no lags or glitches, and al of my other wireless devices are working perfectly. (xbox, wii, ipod, wireless printer, etc.) So far so good!!
- Answered by Mike V from Ridgetown
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the range the Express Base?)
can I air play music from my Iphone to two Airport Express conected to two diferent amps at the same time ?
I want to air play the same music form my IPhone to two diferent areas in my home where I have two diferent amps conected to a set of speakers.
I allready have one area conected to a 4 years old Aiport Express. I need to conect it to a new area.
- Asked by Ignacio M from Hermosillo
- Flag as inappropriate (can I air play music from my Iphone to two Airport Express conected to two diferent amps at the same time ?)
No you cannot do that from any iOS device. However, if you have a mac or windows computer, you can from iTunes, just select it before selecting airplay devices to stream to!
- Answered by Andrew S from Bendigo
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I air play music from my Iphone to two Airport Express conected to two diferent amps at the same time ?)
Yes, but it will have to be in router mode, not bridge mode. If it is acting as a bridge, you would have to set that configuration in the core router.
- Answered by Earl D from Rochester
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this have the option to forward ports and reserve local IP addresses so that my ip cameras will continue to work?)
Will the Airport Express function using Power over Ethernet (PoE) instead of using the included power cord?
I would like to mount this in a location that does not have power readily available. Can the unit be powered using Power over Ethernet?
- Asked by Derek G from Matthews
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the Airport Express function using Power over Ethernet (PoE) instead of using the included power cord?)
Yes. Set the express up in bridged mode. It then joins your wireless network and extends it and can provide bridged ethernet and USB plus stereo audio port for Airplay. Best $100 router out there. If you use it as a bridge, it does tend to run fairly warm. I set mine where it is close to some air flow. THe express runs warm compared to other wireless devices. Probably because it is so compact. Still, no issues in my experience. Works as expected. Cheers!
- Answered by Bill B from Red Oak
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is it compatible with the virgin media super hub, i.e could i extend the wi-fi of my superhub using the express)
Will AirPort Express improve my phone's FaceTime connection?
My cell phone connectivity switches to my neighbor's while I'm trying to FaceTime which causes the FaceTime to freeze or drop. Will the Airport Express help my phone connect to my modem/router downstairs more effectively?
- Asked by Nancy S from Sagamore Hills
- Flag as inappropriate (Will AirPort Express improve my phone's FaceTime connection?)
Airport express or apple tv
The apple Tv and Airport express are the same price but the Apple Tv does more.
Should i buy an Apple tv to stream my music to my stereo in the other room ?
Or should i buy a Airport express ?
Does the Airport express have more faetures that the Apple TV doesn't have ?
I currently have
I just want to be ablle to stream music tto the stereo's i have through my Two storry house
I just purchaced the Airport Express but i'm now thinking i should of bought another Apple TV ?
- Asked by David C from Kingsley
- Flag as inappropriate (Airport express or apple tv)
I'm faced with the same dilemma, as my 802.11g Airport Express suffers from many drop-outs due to multiple interference on the 2.4Ghz band by microwave ovens, cordless phones, baby monitors and the like. Been kind of holding off till the new 802.11ac was implemented across the board by APPLE. More on that in a minute.
The APPLE tv obviously does a lot more in the entertainment arena thru it's ability to stream all your iTunes content to your TV, in addition to NETFLIX, VIMEO, YouTube, hockey and baseball games, etc, etc. But it does not support wireless printing; no USB port. To get the audio from your iTunes music library to your main Stereo, you'd either need an HDMI splitter, HDMI 1.4 with ARC (audio return channel), an HDMI AV receiver, or purchase a Toslink optical audio cable to go directly from the APPLE tv to your Stereo system.
The current version of the APPLE tv still uses 802.11n. While that is plenty for music streaming, the advantage of 802.11ac would be, no possible slowdown of the entire network by one slower link in the chain, as well as being ready for when 4k video streams become more commonplace.
I'm waiting to see if APPLE will update the Airport Express as well as the APPLE tv to the new ac standard. If not in the near future, I'll buy the Express, as at the moment I just want to be able to stream my iTunes library to my main Stereo, and I won't have to shell out for the optical cable. In addition, it'll buy more time to see where APPLE is headed with their APPLE tv "hobby". But for 99 bucks, you can't go wrong either way.
- Answered by Michael V from Barrie
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Airport express or apple tv)
what is the airport Express for ?
im going to buy an macbook air and i see the airport express so i want to know for what it is it for so i know if need it or not
- Asked by Sandra N from Tampa
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the airport Express for ?)
Yes this is a wifi router it works with all wifi devices such as roku.
- Answered by Jack E from Sierra Madre
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will Roku work on it?)
Is the Airport Express Base Station portable? Can I take it with me to school and use it as wifi?
I currently use Clear for when I travel with my laptop and was wondering if the AirPort base could replace the Clear, as I'm paying a monthly fee for it.
- Asked by Shelby G from Las Vegas
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the Airport Express Base Station portable? Can I take it with me to school and use it as wifi?)
Can I extend the range of a Belkin-based wifi network?
Where I live we have a wifi network with a Belkin modem. The signal is very weak in my area. Could a new Airport be used to extend the range? I have an older Airport Express and Airport, but when I have tried to use them to accomplish this, it seems they are not compatible with non-Apple modems. Is the new Airport Express different in this regard?
- Asked by Vicki P
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I extend the range of a Belkin-based wifi network?)
Yes, I can say from experience that it will.
- Answered by Taylor R from Leesburg
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I extend the range of a Belkin-based wifi network?)
does this new airport express support AirPrint?
- Asked by Stephen K from Boxford
- Flag as inappropriate (does this new airport express support AirPrint?)
The Airport Express does support wireless printing, but does not support "Airprint." Airprint is printing from an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod). This device does not allow printing from an iOS device. It will only print from a PC or Mac. PC printing will require Bonjour for Windows.
- Answered by Joseph W from San Jose
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does this new airport express support AirPrint?)
Thanks for answering. I have taken delivery of the product and can back up your answer. It works with both Spotify and TuneIn Radio, and the sound through my Sony AV Amp/Mission Speakers is comparable to CD quality in my opinion. Excellent, easy to set up product. Fully recommended.
Can you use this as a separate wifi from your main router so is the airport is running slow will the main router be affected?Answer
Yes You Can to answer the first part of your question. You already answered the second part, if the connected AirPort Express is running a separate WiFi signal than your host router of course the main router would not be affected.
- Answered by Shawn P. C from Carlstadt
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you use this as a separate wifi from your main router so is the airport is running slow will the main router be affected?)
I have fiber broadband in NL. Although we have a 100Mb subscription I never reach any reasonable speeds with the WiFi modem from the provider. Therefore a installed two Airport wifi routers through the LAN ports. Via the airport routers ( as bridge) we get via WiFi really high speeds. Always above 30Mb both downloading as well as uploading.
Assuming that the situation is not too different for the UK, I hope this answer makes sense to you.
- Answered by Ad E
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will the airport express work with fibre broadband in the UK?)