Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
712 Questions from the Community
I have an older airport extreme, can it be hooked to comcast modem
I have connected my airport extreme to comcast modem, but light remains yellow. What do I need to do.
- Asked by Jerry J from Sugar Land
- Flag as inappropriate (I have an older airport extreme, can it be hooked to comcast modem)
Will a 4th Gen Apple TV work well with an old (2006) Airport Extreme?
- Asked by Gene R from Belfast
- Flag as inappropriate (Will a 4th Gen Apple TV work well with an old (2006) Airport Extreme?)
I have a time capsule for my main Wifi network... can this base station be used to extend my wireless network or do I need something different?Best Answer:
You can use this an extender (in extender mode). You will just have to enable it.
- Answered by Luke T from Calgary
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have a time capsule for my main Wifi network... can this base station be used to extend my wireless network or do I need something different?)
If you have a wifi-enabled printer, you can have the printer in a separate room. Just add the wifi network on your printer and your printer will be recognized.
- Answered by Christopher W from Cincinnati
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does a wireless printer have to be connected to the AirPort express USB or can I have the printer in another room.)
can multiple printers be used over wifi with the airport express
I have a Brother Laser printer that is wireless 2270DW and an epson wireless printer that students are using in an dorm. I have set secure wireless network but need to know if these two printers can print wirelessly or do they need to be connected via printer cable to Airport Express to perform wireless printing? Last but not least you us a spliter on the USB outlet on the Airport express and hardwire the two printers via printer cables?
- Asked by Chris P from Sandy Springs
- Flag as inappropriate (can multiple printers be used over wifi with the airport express)
Sure. All wireless (and wired) clients can access all wireless (and wired) resources on the LAN via this router.
- Answered by Scott J from San Jose
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can multiple printers be used over wifi with the airport express)
will it work for like xbox one / 360 and play station 3 / 4 ?
- Asked by Alexis F from Philadelphia
- Flag as inappropriate (will it work for like xbox one / 360 and play station 3 / 4 ?)
Can I use this while I am traveling in Europe?
I am traveling to Italy and was wondering if the airport express works with their broadband and or dial up.
- Asked by Laura E from Coatesville
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this while I am traveling in Europe?)
Yes - but you may need an adapter to provide power.
- Answered by John B from Palm Harbor
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this while I am traveling in Europe?)
can i backup my macbook with the airport extreme
- Asked by Tamarik R from Oakland
- Flag as inappropriate (can i backup my macbook with the airport extreme)
no. you'll need to buy a time capsule.
- Answered by Andrea V
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i backup my macbook with the airport extreme)
How do I use Airport express in a hotel that only has an ethernet connection and which needs me to log on to pay for the service.
Sometimes when I go to a hotel they only have an ethernet cabel and then you have to log on and pay for the internet service. Just to be clear ... if I plug the ethernet plug into the airport express does that stream the connection to my mac or ios device for me to log on and pay.Best Answer:
It is just plug and play. Simply set up the network name and a password to prevent you neighbours using your service and away you go. I have used this in many hotels around the world. Some hotels do however set the network up to prevent multiple devices connecting meaning that you can no longer connect an iPhone, iPad and mac to the same line without multiple device charges. Other than that this is excellent in my experience.
Depends on how much switching and or routing the device is handling. Running on averages, and at 123.5 vac average, It draws from .11 to .13 amps in "ready" condition. Once some traffic starts flowing, example, iPod playing on line game + media server streaming a movie to apple tv + iPhone watching a stream from netflix, one computer downloading updates. Average power draw 10 watts peaked at 12 watts. Average amps .15 to .3 amps. Hope this helps.
- Answered by Bill B from Red Oak
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Power Draw)
Technical network question: can I use the Express with my current Airport Extreme, as a repeater with printer connected?
I currently have an airport extreme, which is very good at getting range throughout my very long unit (about 30 meters.)
I have my TV, XBOX, PC down one end.. and my iMac is down the other end. I had the Extreme set up in the middle of the house. So it turns out, my xbox360 along with the NBA App wont give me HD unless its plugged in, even if the wireless Extreme unit is sitting 5 inches away from the XBOX360 (I tested this). Highlights work fine, but actual games - na.
So I though I would move the extreme in the room with the XBOX 360 etc in it..
Anyway, surprisingly, down the other end of the house, the iMac works on the internet fine! The iPhone 5 also works well.(checked with speediest and can confirm that the iphone lost less than 10% at the end of the house! impressive :-) ) BUT when I look at the iMac network connection, it says the transmit signal is only 27 down from around 217. The internet is fine, but youtube has taken a hit.
My dilemma then, is that I need the printer connected to a wireless device so everything including our laptops can print. I also would not mind extending the range back out for the iMac.
So I am considering the Express to put in the middle of the house.
1) If I have my modem plugged into the extreme, I assume I can use the express as an extender?
2) Can I plug the printer into the Extender, or in this case, the little express which will be used as an extender?
I sort of dont want the printer near the TV due to room issues, and would like to bring back the super quickness of the internet to the iMac.. Im not so fussed about the internet for the iMac, as its only YouTube which has taken a hit, everything else works great, which is amazing at such a long range. (almost 100 feet)
- Asked by Dennis K from Mosman
- Flag as inappropriate (Technical network question: can I use the Express with my current Airport Extreme, as a repeater with printer connected?)
There is no Airport EXPRESS MD031LL/A - it is an Airport EXTREME MD031LL/A. Airport Express MB321LL/A is the previous generation of the Airport Express.
- Answered by John B from Palm Harbor
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the diference between Airport Express MD031LL/A and AirportExpressMB321 AM-A))
Can one use the USB port to plug in a flash drive and share files over the LAN using the Airport Express?
The USB port supports USB printing. Can one plug a flash drive into it instead and share files on the flash drive to those connected to the wireless LAN?
- Asked by Bill A from Mission Viejo
- Flag as inappropriate (Can one use the USB port to plug in a flash drive and share files over the LAN using the Airport Express?)
Yes. if you connect it via the wired ethernet port to your router then it will act as a bridge/repeater offering you a further access point to choose from. Depending on where in the house I am, the signal strengths between my Netgear Router and the Airport Express differ so I connect to the strongest one. I bought the Express primarily to stream music wireless from my iTunes library but it also served as a bridge / repeater as a second benefit.
Can you use it on airplanes or cruise ships
I am going to different islands and going to be in the middle of no where
- Asked by Xavier L from Stroudsburg
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use it on airplanes or cruise ships)
An AirPort Express is used to create a wireless network. You could use it where ever you want, as long as wireless networking is allowed, which I doubt on a plane, but on a ship you would be fine.
But it seems like you believe that having a wireless network offers you access to the internet; it does not. You always need to connect your AirPort Express, or any other wireless router or wireless access point for that matter, to a modem which is connected to the internet.
- Answered by Arie V
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you use it on airplanes or cruise ships)
Can I use Airport Express as an AP?
I have a Netscreen as firewall, connected to Internet, and I'd like to extend its LAN ports to wireless.
- Asked by 晓斌 刘 from Shanghai
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use Airport Express as an AP?)
What is the range of the new airport express? I typically do presentations across the street at a meeting room that does not have wirless.
I can see my office window from the building I do my presentations in. I'm hoping i can set up an airport exprss in my window and get to my computer for internet presentations. I know you can't give gurantees but what is the distance rating on the new improved modle?
- Asked by Frank W from Seabeck
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the range of the new airport express? I typically do presentations across the street at a meeting room that does not have wirless.)
If I extend wi-fi network from an Airport Extreme basestation via WDS to this unit, can both ethernet ports be used for networking non wi-fi devices?Answer
Absolutely! THe Extreme can wirelessly extend to another wireless router (Bridge mode). As long as you enable ETHERNET. THe additional router (such as Airport Express) makes stronger wireless signal over the entire dwelling or office, and then allows you to use the ethernet port and the USB port, such as, a network printer or shared drive Or another PC or whatever. Highly recommend it. Two extremes together would give you 8 Ethernet ports in addition to multiple wireless clients. Depending on your ISP; where I am, is fibre optic. I think it allows 67 or so?? Can't remember. But plenty. I've used this setup extensively in different locations. Seamless, and easy to set up. Can't go wrong with apple equipment in my humble opinion. Cheers!
Will this allow me to get wifi anywhere or just at home ?
like can i get wifi in the road with the AirPort Express or only at home
- Asked by Joel F from Santa Cruz
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this allow me to get wifi anywhere or just at home ?)