Questions & Answers for Lightning Digital AV Adapter
345 Questions from the Community
Will AV adapter work with my camera
I need to transfer a video from my digital camera will the digital AV adapter do this or do I need to buy a different cable ??
- Asked by Pauline F
- Flag as inappropriate (Will AV adapter work with my camera)
Yes. That's exactly what I use mine for.
- Answered by Robyn O from Winnipeg
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does it support iPad Mini)
can I connect my iPad Air to video glasses using a lightning digital cable adapter?
I want to use a lightning cable adapter to connect to a 30-pin cable that would then connect to a pair of video glasses. Would this work?
- Asked by Mark P from Monessen
- Flag as inappropriate (can I connect my iPad Air to video glasses using a lightning digital cable adapter?)
Does Sky Sports app work with this adapter?
Does anybody know if the Sky Sports app allows external video?
I am away a lot with work, and am looking for ways to bring my favourite Sky program's with me to my hotel room.
- Asked by Peter F
- Flag as inappropriate (Does Sky Sports app work with this adapter?)
Could I mirror what is on my iPad to a screen with this, then also connect more accessories with the extra lightning port?
I was wondering about something like the Focusrite iTrack Solo. I know I would need to use a 30pin to lightning converter for this to work with the iPad and to fit into this adapter, but would I even be able to use both at the same time at all?
- Asked by Michael W from Vancouver
- Flag as inappropriate (Could I mirror what is on my iPad to a screen with this, then also connect more accessories with the extra lightning port?)
Does this work with Flixster?
I've read the horror story reviews of all the services and apps that this does not work with. I'm going to go ahead an assume it works with the native iOS video app and will play video sourced through iTunes, but I would also like to know if it will work with the Flixster app and play UltraViolet content.
- Asked by Andrew Y
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this work with Flixster?)
No, this is strictly an "output" cable. Plug in this cable and you can now watch that game or movie from your Ipad of Iphone on a bigger screen.
- Answered by Michael D from Muncy
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this to tether video with my Nikon D800 to my mini Ipad 3rd generation or Iphone 6+?)
Will the Lightning Digital AV Adapter mirror skype from my iPhone 5 onto my HD telly? I want to use my phone as the webcam to view skype on my telly.
No answers yet
It appears that audio is sent with video on the HDMI connection. But is audio still available simultaneously at the earphone jack?
Audio + video on HDMI is fine for my TV but if I plug HDMI into a projector that does not handle audio I would like to know if audio would still be available simultaneously at the earphone jack. If not I would have no sound unless I also buy some sort of HDMI audio stripper device.
Likewise, is that Lightning connector on the adapter only for pumping in charging power or anything else available there such as digital audio?
I am specifically referring to iPhone 6 running iOS 8.xxx.
- Asked by Steven K from Park Forest
- Flag as inappropriate (It appears that audio is sent with video on the HDMI connection. But is audio still available simultaneously at the earphone jack?)
No answers yet
Look on the back/side of your TV and see what sort of input connector you have. There is no confusing the two with each other. (See pictures these two different connectors of Apple website.) If you have both I'd go with the digital av.
- Answered by Robert P from Placitas
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (how do I know if need the lightning digital av adapter or the vga adapter for my tv?)
Does this adapter allow the new iPod nano (with lightning connector) to connect to a TV, or just iPhone 5, iPad mini, iPod touch only?
- Asked by Kristin D from Aledo
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter allow the new iPod nano (with lightning connector) to connect to a TV, or just iPhone 5, iPad mini, iPod touch only?)
No. Only on the iPhone 5, iPad mini, iPod touch and iPad with retina display only.
Most definitely yes, this works with sound. It also works with the audible.com app just fine. Be aware, however, that Facetime will not rout through the adapter but stays on the phone. Also, be aware that telephone calls made through the phone app will say on the phone itself and not rout through the connecter. For blind Voice OVer users, Voice Over will speak on the phone itself and not be routed through the adapter: rather a nice plus.
- Answered by Raymond F from Houma
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this product work with sound as well as video?)
Compatibility with TV, iPad, Smart turbo trainer and Zwift set up?
Will this work:
1. Plug this into my iPad;
2. Plug wahoo ant+ dongle into thirty pin lightening connector/adapter;
3. Plug the 30 pin lightening adapter into the hdmi adapter lightening port;
4. Plug an hdmi cable into the hdmi adapter and a TV; and
5. Run the Zwift app on my iPad/usemysmart turbo trainer?
- Asked by John S
- Flag as inappropriate (Compatibility with TV, iPad, Smart turbo trainer and Zwift set up?)
sync cable for transferring data from iphone to ipad.
- Asked by Michael J. W from Charleston
- Flag as inappropriate (sync cable for transferring data from iphone to ipad.)
Can we play web video through lightning digital av adapter?
- Asked by Chase X from Akron
- Flag as inappropriate (Can we play web video through lightning digital av adapter?)
We just watched Youtube HTML5 feeds of the Crossfit games and it worked just fine.
- Answered by John J from Palo Alto
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can we play web video through lightning digital av adapter?)
when using this cable with an iPad, does the iPad's screen itself still display video? or only the external display?
I'm designing a car stereo system that is going to use an iPad as the head unit (deck). I need to get a digital audio signal (toslink) out of the iPad so I can connect it to a DSP with toslink in. From there, it will be like any other car stereo; Analog audio out of the DSP (just as it would come out of a traditional car stereo head unit) and into amps, then speakers/subs. By going this route, I can use the vastly superior DA converter in the DSP as opposed to the iPad's onboard DA converter.
Unfortunately Apple does not provide us with a lightning to toslink adapter; surprise, surprise! However If I were to get a Lightning Digital AV Adapter, and a device like this (Fosmon HDMI Audio Extractor Converter Box [HDMI to HDMI+Audio] - Supports Toslink (SPDIF), RCA L/R Audio) Then conceivably I could extract the Digital audio that way. However, I will only need the audio from the HDMI signal, regardless if there is any video data or not (listening to an MP3 as opposed to watching an MKV) So for this plan to work, the iPad's own screen would need to remain active (on, with video displayed) even when the apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter is plugged into the iPad. Thanks.
Also, will using the apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter just transfer the sound from music/video's being watched, or would it transmit all system sounds, like for instance the key stroke sounds from typing, alert sounds from notifications, etc?
- Asked by Matthew G from Sacramento
- Flag as inappropriate (when using this cable with an iPad, does the iPad's screen itself still display video? or only the external display?)
I have been using the lightning to HDMI adapter for my iPAD Mini to do code demonstrations and other various presentations for several months now. When using the iPAD to navigate between apps and browse the web, the display is mirrored on both the iPAD and display device (Projector, TV, etc.). The google slides app has a presentation mode that will display the slides in full screen on the connected device but show slide previews and presenter notes on the iPAD itself. As far as I know, the audio is transmitted and taken away from the iPAD just as if you had plugged in a set of head phones or connected to a Bluetooth speaker system.
- Answered by Korey E from Hurst
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (when using this cable with an iPad, does the iPad's screen itself still display video? or only the external display?)
Can you use Pages when connecting an iPad Air2 to a monitor via lightning/HDMI adapter?
I'm looking to scale down my 15" MBP Retina to an iPad Air2. I'm traveling more and more for work, so space/weight remaining at a premium, particularly when crossing the Atlantic. My major concern is whether I'll have the ability to connect to a larger screen via Airplay or via the lightning/HDMI adapter to a larger screen for writing with Pages, Keynote, and more. I don't see an issue for presenting per se, but it would be wonderful if I could find a way to plug into a nice 22"+ monitor in a hotel room or in my home office. Is this possible? Am I condemned to just slightly reducing my travel tech with either a 13" MBP or MBA?
- Asked by Charles G from Boca Raton
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use Pages when connecting an iPad Air2 to a monitor via lightning/HDMI adapter?)