What is life expectancy?
Some competitors advertise that their hard disk will keep photos for a 100 years, how long will the AirPort Time Capsule keep my precious photos?
- Asked by Lise T from Alexandria
- Flag as inappropriate (What is life expectancy?)
2 Answers from the Community
No hard drive will last for 100 years. It is probably flash memory that you are seeing that quoted on, but that will come in much smaller capacities (typically 8GB-64GB) and a much higher cost-per-gigabyte than the Time Capsule, and of course, do not include a fairly high end wireless router.
Hard drives have an average lifespan of approximately 5 years, but there are plenty of outliers, with some lasting 10 years and some only 10 minutes. And of course, the Time Capsule also contains a wireless router, which in itself will probably only last 3-5 years of continuous usage. That is why the recommendation for backups is always to have multiple backups, and preferably, to have at least one backup "offsite" (that is, not in the same physical location as your other backups), as the odds of multiple backups failing simultaneously is vanishingly small.
- Answered by Andrew R from Victoria
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I had my 500GB N time capsule since 2008 and it just now started losing wifi connection. I think it may be due to moving into a bigger house from an apartment. But it any case it has lasted 8 years like a champ. Very pleased with it and ready for the 5th gen, only hope a new one isnt released a month after i purchase one.
- Answered by C.j. R from Fayetteville
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
What is the life expectancy of the batteries? What is the indication that the batteries are low/need replacement?
- Asked by Jay S from New Bern
- Nov 18, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the life expectancy of the batteries? What is the indication that the batteries are low/need replacement?)
- Asked about: Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with C…
What is the expected battery life?
- Asked by Cody B from Midland
- Sep 28, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the expected battery life?)
- Asked about: DJI Mavic Pro Drone
Does this monitor automatically charging the MBP while connected via Thunderbolt? I wonder if this would be bad for battery life.
- Asked by Jens Erik B
- Dec 1, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this monitor automatically charging the MBP while connected via Thunderbolt? I wonder if this would be bad for battery life.)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 5K Display