Apple Introduces Apple Remote Desktop 3
Third Generation of Desktop Management Software Now Optimized for Intel-based Macs
CUPERTINO, California—April 11, 2006—Apple® today announced Apple Remote Desktop™ 3, the third generation of Apple’s award-winning desktop management software. Building on Mac OS® X version 10.4 “Tiger” innovations such as Spotlight™, Dashboard and Automator, Apple Remote Desktop 3 is a Universal application optimized to take advantage of the power of Intel-based Macs with more than 50 new features that deliver improvements in software distribution, asset management and remote assistance.
“With Apple Remote Desktop 3, we’ve delivered powerful innovations that make it even easier and more affordable to manage Macs,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “Great new features such as remote Spotlight searching and customized Automator actions take advantage of innovations in Tiger and make Apple Remote Desktop 3 a valuable tool for anyone managing more than one Mac.”
Apple Remote Desktop 3 offers a wide range of high performance desktop management features including lightning-fast Spotlight searches across multiple Tiger systems; over 30 Automator actions for easily automating repetitive system administration tasks; a Dashboard Widget that provides quick and convenient observation of remote systems; and AutoInstall for installing software automatically on mobile systems when they return online.
Other new features in Apple Remote Desktop 3 include:
- System Status Indicators that let administrators quickly check the overall health of multiple systems at a glance;
- Power Copy files up to 11 times faster than with Apple Remote Desktop 2*;
- Remote Drag and Drop files and folders between local and remote computers;
- Remote Copy and Paste for simple transfer of text and images between local and remote computers;
- Persistent Task History and Task Templates to make it easy to save and replicate repetitive tasks;
- Curtain Mode to hide the desktop of a system while it is being controlled remotely;
- Application Usage and User History Reports to track software compliance and monitor the use of unauthorized applications;
- Smart Computer Lists for dynamically managing systems based on specified criteria; and
- AES 128-bit encryption for secure communications between Apple Remote Desktop 3 and clients.
Pricing & Availability
Apple Remote Desktop 3 is available immediately through The Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $299 (US) for managing up to 10 systems and $499 (US) for managing an unlimited number of systems. Special education pricing can be found at www.apple.com/education/store.
The administration and client system for Apple Remote Desktop 3 is designed to run on any computer running Mac OS X v10.3.9 or later. An Ethernet (recommended), IP over FireWire® or AirPort® network connection is required.
*Based on network copy performance using 1000Base-T and Power Macs with dual processor G5 2.5 GHz CPUs, 2GB of RAM and running Mac OS X version 10.4.3.
Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.
Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS, Macintosh, Apple Remote Desktop, Spotlight, FireWire and Apple Store are trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.