Questions & Answers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
1837 Questions from the Community
What is really old?
1) Snow Leopard comes on a DVD... it is not a download.
2) If your mac is Intel-based and has a minimum of 1GB of memory, it can run Snow Leopard.
3) When I upgraded from OS 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard, all the apps that worked in OS 10.4.11 continued to function, although some only worked about 95%. Any Apple app from OS 10.4.11 worked 100% in Snow Leopard. However, some of my printer drivers and a scanner utility needed to be updated in order to work with Snow Leopard.
4) If upgrading from earlier than OS 10.5, I advise making a bootable backup of your current OS, and installing Snow Leopard on a fresh partition. During install, the installer will search for other partitions with older OS, and ask you if you want to import all the OS settings, applications, and/or files to the new Snow Leopard partition. A very smooth upgrade from older OS, that let's you keep the old OS so you can start up from that partition in case you wish to after Snow Leopard is installed.
5) You can use the $29 Snow Leopard DVD to upgrade, but first use Utilities (Disk Utility) from the install DVD to prepare the partition you are going to install Snow Leopard to.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 11 21, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (If I have really old software on my mac can I still download OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard?)
Can I download images from my icloud account to Mac 10.6.8?
- Asked by Renee T from Laguna Niguel
- 06 23, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I download images from my icloud account to Mac 10.6.8?)
what airport utility can i run with snow leapord
- Asked by Keith C from Surrey
- 12 31, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (what airport utility can i run with snow leapord)
how cab i tell if my imac has snow leopard
- Asked by Michael C from White Plains
- 08 23, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (how cab i tell if my imac has snow leopard)
if the version is more that 10.6 then is will
- Answered by Sammuel K
- 09 8, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (how cab i tell if my imac has snow leopard)
I have OS X 10.5.8, how can I to Mavericks?
my iMAc is: Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.30f1
- Asked by Sami R
- 10 28, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (I have OS X 10.5.8, how can I to Mavericks?)
i am running 10.6.3 can i get lion upgrade
- Asked by Vanessa G from Westlock
- 01 25, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (i am running 10.6.3 can i get lion upgrade)
STEP 1: Select "Software Update" (under the Apple Menu) in order to update Snow Leopard to OS 10.6.8. (You are likely already at OS 10.6.8 -- go to "About This Mac" (under the Apple Menu) to find out.) Mac OS 10.6.6 to 10.6.8 will add the "App Store.app" inside the Applications folder.
STEP 2: One upgrades to latest OS (currently Mavericks OS 10.9) by using the "App Store.app". However, to get Lion (OS10.7) or Mountain Lion (OS10.8), one must first go to the Apple Store to purchase and receive download instructions. The direct link to Lion (OS 10.7) is:
in Canada (I assume you are in Westlock, Alberta): storeDOTappleDOTcom/ca/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion
in USA: storeDOTappleDOTcom/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion
[replace each "DOT: with "." in above links]
Before purchasing, you may wish to make sure your Mac meets the System Requirements for Lion:
An Intel Core 2 Duo, i3, Core i5, Core i7 or Xeon processor
(a Mac with "Intel Core Duo" will not work -- must be at least "Intel Core 2 Duo".)
Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
7 GB free hard drive space
2 GB RAM
NOTE: If your Mac supports newer Operating Systems, you can upgrade directly from OS 10.6 to OS 10.8 or OS 10.9. You can "skip" OS versions.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- 01 26, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (i am running 10.6.3 can i get lion upgrade)
No you do not need to upgrade to iWork 09 to use Snow Leopard.
The neat thing about updating your iWork software is the new and intuitive things the newer software has to offer, but Snow Leopard and iWork 08 should work just fine together.
- Answered by Cheryl P from Golden Valley
- 10 12, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (i have iworks 08 do i need to upgrade to 09 to use snow leopard)
What version of Java is compatible with Snow Leopard
- Asked by Lori W from Calgary
- 03 11, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (What version of Java is compatible with Snow Leopard)
I'm runnin a 2010 macbook pro with 10.6.3 and want to upgrade to any 10.8 is my computer able to run this and will it upgrade it so i can run logic 9?
Help I'm new to using macs!Answer
Your 2010 MacBook Pro is on the list of supported models for Mountain Lion 10.8. Use Software Update to ensure you have the last release of Snow Leopard, 10.6.8, then open the Mac App Store to purchase Mountain Lion 10.8.
I have a mac OS 10.4.11 If I get the snow leopard 10.6, will it wipe all or any of my memory in this current existing OS 10.4.11?
- Asked by Segal I from Agoura Hills
- 07 27, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a mac OS 10.4.11 If I get the snow leopard 10.6, will it wipe all or any of my memory in this current existing OS 10.4.11?)
No answers yet
we are a family of 6 and all apparantly need to upgrade our computers to snowleopard, so what is the most affordable way to do so?
- Asked by Ed M from Castle Rock
- 12 21, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (we are a family of 6 and all apparantly need to upgrade our computers to snowleopard, so what is the most affordable way to do so?)
the best answer is probably to get the family box set and then 1 normal set i dont know if this will work but at least i tried to help
Will I lose QuickTime Pro after upgrading to Snow Leopard?
- Asked by George S from Macomb Township
- 11 20, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (Will I lose QuickTime Pro after upgrading to Snow Leopard?)
- Answered by Mark H
- 11 22, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will I lose QuickTime Pro after upgrading to Snow Leopard?)
what happens to my data when I upgrade to OS?
- Asked by Thomas H from Lancaster
- 09 15, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (what happens to my data when I upgrade to OS?)