Call it a Software Update
In addition to releasing new versions of the system software at regular intervals, Apple also releases a stream of free software updates to enrich your computing experience. Mac OS X automatically checks weekly for software updates provided you have an internet connection.
You can choose a different schedule, or check manually if you don’t have a continuous Internet connection. If Software Update finds an item to download, it appears in a list. Click on an item to get a description before downloading it. If you see updates that you will never use, such as a language you don’t speak or drivers for a printer you don’t own, choose Make Inactive from the Update menu.
To get updates immediately, follow these steps:
- Choose System Preferences from the Apple Menu.
- Choose Software Update from the View menu.
- Click Update Now.
- Select the items you want to install, then click Install.
- Enter an Admin user name and password.
- After the update is complete, restart the computer if necessary.
Learn more about how to use Software Update.