With the use of the Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter, can I attach a FireWire drive, or even a FireWire chain of drives, to a Thundebolt drive?
I have an existing chain of two FireWire hard drives, currently attached directly to the FireWire port of an iMac. And I want to add a Thunderbolt drive soon, too, using the Thunderbolt port. But the newest iMacs don't have any FireWire port. So I want to be able to use both types of drive with the newest, and presumably future, Macs.
2 Answers from the Community
Yes using the adaptor on one thunderbolt port, you can link FireWire drive (I assume ypur drove is FW800. I have 4 fw drives linked to an adaptor on my retina MacBook Pro. You should be able to do this on the newly released iMac too. Note that USB3 is faster than FireWire 800. I am starting to change my drives and USB 3 is great but the only downside is that you can't link the drives up like FireWire 800.
- Answered by Calvin H from Glendale
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Yes. You can use a Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter to attach a FireWire drive.
- Answered by Tang Fung W from Hong Kong
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Does the "Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter" work together with the "Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter"?
- Asked by Christian K
- 28 Oct 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the "Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter" work together with the "Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter"?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbol…