Will this allow a pre-2016 Thunderbolt Display to charge a 2016 rMBP? Or is an additional charger cable necessary?
1 Answer from the Community
No, the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter does not pass power to charge the MacBook Pro.
You will need to use the charger cable.
Read Apple support document HT207266 "Connect devices and displays with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter".
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can this adapter be used with the late 2016 MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Paul J from Boulder
- 10 31, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be used with the late 2016 MacBook Pro?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…
Would this charger work on the 2016 MacBook?
- Asked by Nazli O
- 05 29, 18
- Flag as inappropriate (Would this charger work on the 2016 MacBook?)
- Asked about: USB-C Charge Cable (2m)
No answers yet
can I listen to audio out of the thunderbolt port?
- Asked by Janice L from Lacey
- 02 12, 18
- Flag as inappropriate (can I listen to audio out of the thunderbolt port?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapt…