Questions & Answers for Apple 45W MagSafe Power Adapter for MacBook Air
460 Questions from the Community
i bought my computer in colombia but im using it in europe, my charger is gone, does the country electricity has something to do about it?
No answers yet
As far as I know you cannot buy the UK plug separately. It is included in the world travel adapter kit at £31.
- Answered by Neil F
- 09 23, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i buy the three pin plug part of the adaptor on it own?)
how do I find out which 60W MagSafe charger do I need for my MacAir 13-inch, Mid 2011
My charger cable for MacAir mid 2011. Which cable do I purchased.
- Asked by David B from Madison
- 06 19, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (how do I find out which 60W MagSafe charger do I need for my MacAir 13-inch, Mid 2011)
will the 85w Mag Safe Power Adapter for the Mac book Pro work in Berlin or do I need a power converter
I'm going to Berlin and Milan with my 15" Mac Book Pro. Will I need a converter or
just the plug in adapter to fit the plug.
- Asked by Cecil G from Beverly Hills
- 03 26, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (will the 85w Mag Safe Power Adapter for the Mac book Pro work in Berlin or do I need a power converter)
If you search for magsafe warranty on this site you'll find a hit that it comes with 12mths warranty
- Answered by Paul D from Surrey Hills
- 09 8, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is there any form of warranty after the purchase of this charger?)
Can I use this with a 2007 15 inch MBP? misplaced the original cable and I notice this has a different end piece. Is it compatible?
- Asked by Diane P from Fairfax
- 09 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this with a 2007 15 inch MBP? misplaced the original cable and I notice this has a different end piece. Is it compatible?)
No answers yet
Can I use my apple 85w mag safe power adapter in the USA , I bought my MacBook Pro in australia where I live . Iam travelling to NY
- Asked by Lucia N from Sydney
- 07 12, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use my apple 85w mag safe power adapter in the USA , I bought my MacBook Pro in australia where I live . Iam travelling to NY)
You will need an adapter to use US plugs. The US uses Type A (two flat parallel prongs) or Type B plugs (Type A with grounding pin) while Australia uses Type I (flat grounding pin and v-shape flat prongs). You should be able to buy these adapters anywhere.
- Answered by Jacob N from Denver
- 08 8, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use my apple 85w mag safe power adapter in the USA , I bought my MacBook Pro in australia where I live . Iam travelling to NY)
From Macworld Mag 2006:
If you hold the two power supplies side by side, you’ll notice that the MacBook Pro’s is larger. That’s because the MacBook Pro uses an 85-watt power supply, while the MacBook uses a 60-watt power supply. Apple says you can use the more powerful, 85-watt power supply with a MacBook without any problems, and that in 80 percent to 90 percent of situations, you can use the MacBook’s power supply with the more-demanding MacBook Pro as well. If you’re really taxing the MacBook Pro’s processor with some heavy-duty work, the MacBook’s adapter will still be able to power the MacBook Pro—but it may not have any power left over to charge its battery.
so, yes, contrary to what everyone else has said, you can.
- Answered by Wendy S from Montgomery Village
- 11 26, 09
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can this charger be used for a mac pro laptop if not can i have a link for a mac pro charger please)
It will work ok, but it wont necessarily charge your battery.,
A Macbook Pro 15 & 17 need the extra power to run the LCD panel, so it the macbook is off, or you have an external monitor plugged in with the cover closed, it'll work fine, and charge the battery.
But - if you are using the LCD panel, one of 2 things will happen - either the mac will run, but not charge the battery, or, the battery will slowly drain, since 60W not quite enough for full running. When the battery runs out, it will suspend, even with the adapter plugged in (and the adapoter will also power off, and not work again until it's unplugged for 10 seconds when this happens).
I have the newest MBP17, with the top spec - and this is precisely what happens when i use my wife's mac Air's 60W power adapter...
- Answered by Robert E
- 05 10, 10
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (what will happen if i use my 65w magsafe power adapter on my 15'' macbook pro)
i need to no what charger ineed i have the part number
i have a mac book pro and i need a charger
- Asked by Cher S from Panama City Beach
- 11 18, 09
- Flag as inappropriate (i need to no what charger ineed i have the part number)
The 85w charger for my macbook pro model a1150 has stopped working. Can i buy any 85w charger for it or does it specifically need to be for the a1150?
No answers yet
What does an 85 Watt MegSafe Power Adapter do?
I am purchasing a MacBook Pro and was wondering if i need this adapter?
- Asked by Sheila G from Peoria
- 05 29, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (What does an 85 Watt MegSafe Power Adapter do?)
The 85W MagSafe Adapter is the adapter that will power (and charge the built-in battery) for 15" (current & past) and 17" (past) MacBook Pro laptops including the retina screen ones, from the wall outlets. It may, also be safely used, in the 13" Macbook Pro's as well as MacBook Air Series.
- Answered by M. Afak Y
- 05 31, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What does an 85 Watt MegSafe Power Adapter do?)
I'm traveling to egypt for vacation - is there an adapter I can use with my 85W Mag Safe that slides on in place of the US two prong adapter?
need to purchase 220 volt 50 hz
traveling to cyprus, my MagSafe has a US 110 60 HZ , I need to slide off that install on power for 220 50 HZ - will the Apple store carry it ?
- Asked by Sam M from Clt
- 03 5, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (need to purchase 220 volt 50 hz)
You should be able to just get an adapter plug for the 220. That should work. You can ask at the Apple store. If they do not have it, then they should tell you where to obtain one.
- Answered by Pamela C from Winthrop Harbor
- 03 7, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (need to purchase 220 volt 50 hz)
does the new design of the Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter (for MacBook and 13-inch MacBook Pro) work with the A1286 macbook pro 15 inch?
- Asked by Stephanie B from Brooklyn
- 05 4, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (does the new design of the Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter (for MacBook and 13-inch MacBook Pro) work with the A1286 macbook pro 15 inch?)
No answers yet
Yes you should be able to. apple chargers use smart charging technology and the macbook air will only take the power it needs.
- Answered by Brian H from Northborough
- 01 13, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I charge the new macbook air with my extra 60W power adapter from my old macbook pro)
60W charger for black Macbook
My charger just died but the new 60W is not compatible with my Macbook black, what kind of charger can I buy?
- Asked by Diana M
- 08 4, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (60W charger for black Macbook)
The new ones will work just fine as long as your macbook has a rectangular magnetic head (as opposed the round ones that the ibook and powerbook used).
The new power adapters have a smaller metal head (as opposed to plastic) and are designed so that the cable extends backward from the laptop as opposed to off to the side but those are just design improvements. They fit the same port and plug into the computer exactly the same as the plastic rectangular ones.
- Answered by Kieran K from Burnsville
- 08 29, 11
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (60W charger for black Macbook)
world traveler adapter compatible in the philippines
mac ox 13 inch
- Asked by Sheila E from Amherst
- 05 21, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (world traveler adapter compatible in the philippines)
Use either Europe or USA adapters.
- Answered by Sahal P
- 06 30, 12
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (world traveler adapter compatible in the philippines)