Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter (for MacBook Pro with Retina display)

Get help buying. or call 1800-692-7753.
  • Overview

    The 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter features a magnetic DC connector so if someone trips over it, the lead disconnects harmlessly and your MacBook Pro stays put safely. It also helps prevent fraying or weakening of the cables over time. In addition, the magnetic DC helps guide the plug into the system for a quick and secure connection.

    When the connection is secure, an LED located at the head of the DC connector lights up; an amber light lets you know that your notebook is charging, while a green light tells you that you have full charge. An AC lead is provided with the adapter for maximum lead length, while the AC wall adapter (also provided) gives you an even easier and more compact way to travel.

    Designed to be the perfect travelling companion, the adapter has a clever design that allows the DC cable to be wound neatly around itself for easy cable storage.

    This power adapter recharges the lithium polymer battery while the system is off, on or in sleep mode. It also powers the system if you choose to operate without a battery.

    Compatible with MacBook Pro with Retina display.

    Not sure if this is the right power adapter for your Mac?

    See this article for more details about choosing the right one.

    Knowing which specific Mac model you have is important. If you are running OS X Lion (10.7) or later, go to the “” menu at the top left of your screen, choose “About this Mac” then click the “More Info...” button. Your Mac model and generation will be displayed.

  • 1.5 Average
    1 out of 5 stars
    Number of stars Percentage Number of reviews
    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      NOT GOOD.

      This charger gets extremely hot and the cable is very weak. Not a good design at all had to buy another one. I hope apple refund my money on the product.

      • Written by E O from luton

      357 of 389 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?NOT GOOD.

    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      Quality - I think not

      After spending over £2500 on a laptop I would have expected the charger to have lasted a little longer that 16 months. I am not a heavy user but the charger had After spending over £2500 on a laptop I would have expected the charger to have lasted a little longer that 16 months. I am not a heavy user but the charger had now 'frayed' at the mag 2 connector showing the metal grading around the cable itself. It is a poorly designed and poorly constructed piece of equipment which lets down the whole product. I just wonder what Apple were thinking of.......

      • Written by Eric H from Wolverhampton

      277 of 289 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?Quality - I think not

    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      This product is a potential fire hazard - beware!

      The body of this power adapter overheats something terrible. It is dangerous and a fire hazard. Today the cable coming out of the main unit melted exposing the The body of this power adapter overheats something terrible. It is dangerous and a fire hazard. Today the cable coming out of the main unit melted exposing the internal wires. In the process it melted a hole in the carpet it was sitting on. Overheating seems to be a recurrent problem with this design. Tomorrow I will see what the Mac Store has to say about this. I assume that they will replace the product for free.

      • Written by Neil M from Birmingham

      256 of 285 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?This product is a potential fire hazard - beware!

    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      Breaks so easily one would think it's made out of paper

      The title says it all. It breaks so easily it's ridiculous. This is for a laptop that many want to bring with them every day. Try doing this and bringing this m The title says it all. It breaks so easily it's ridiculous. This is for a laptop that many want to bring with them every day. Try doing this and bringing this magsafe with you. I dare you. Count how many days it lasts. If it's over 100 days, you're as lucky as no other man or woman has ever been throughout the history of this earth.

      • Written by Karl T from Bromma

      Is this review useful?Breaks so easily one would think it's made out of paper

    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      Truly Terrible Product Design

      Sure, the connector sticks out way too far and frequently disconnects under ordinary use, for example, when you place the laptop on your lap. But the absolute w Sure, the connector sticks out way too far and frequently disconnects under ordinary use, for example, when you place the laptop on your lap. But the absolute worst design failure here is the cord itself. I have never worn out a cord on any device I have ever owned... except this one. I've gone through at least seven of them. They just disintegrate, no matter how delicately you treat them. In fact, with the one I got just four months ago, I made a point to (almost) never take the cord with me. But despite being nearly stationary for its entire existence, it's actually starting to turn YELLOW and deteriorate. Seriously, Apple! Why do you stick with this fragile cord plastic? Especially when it's so high-friction that it seems to tangle itself. That's another big design fail but self-tangling seems trivial compared to self-destructing.

      • Written by Dominic C from Seattle

      Is this review useful?Truly Terrible Product Design

    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      Fire hazard.

      I have had this adapter since I purchased my laptop about 5 years ago. As I take very good care of my things I was lucky not to have to replace it, but I alway I have had this adapter since I purchased my laptop about 5 years ago. As I take very good care of my things I was lucky not to have to replace it, but I always noticed that the adapter was fairly hot. Two days ago I noticed a weird chemical smell in the room but didn't think anything of it. Yesterday I noticed that my computer was not charging even if the adapter was plugged in. When unplugging my adapter from the wall I noticed that the smaller permanent cord end (the end that attaches to the adapter and not the end you plug in the computer) was burned and looked like it had caught fire. Thankfully I have hardwood floors in the room, otherwise it could have been much worse.

      • Written by Denis L from St-Jacques

      Is this review useful?Fire hazard.

  • Answers from the community