Apple USB SuperDrive
The sleek, compact USB SuperDrive.
Everything you need in an optical drive.
Whether you’re at the office or on the road, you can play and burn both CDs and DVDs with the Apple USB SuperDrive. It’s perfect when you want to watch a DVD, install software, create backup discs and more.
Take it anywhere.
Only slightly bigger than a CD case, the Apple USB SuperDrive slips easily into your travel bag when you hit the road, and takes up little space on your desk or tray table when you’re working.
The essence of simplicity.
You’ll never have to worry about lost cables with the Apple USB SuperDrive. It connects to your MacBook Pro with Retina display, MacBook Air, iMac or Mac mini with a single USB Type-A cable that’s built into the SuperDrive. There’s no separate power adapter, and it works whether your Mac is plugged in or running on battery power.
What’s in the Box
Apple USB SuperDrive with attached USB Type-A Connector cable
17 mm / 0.67 inches
139 mm / 5.47 inches
139 mm / 5.47 inches
335 grams / 0.74 pounds
Compatible with the following computers:
MacBook Air with Retina display*
MacBook Pro with Retina display*
iMac (late 2012) and later
Mac mini (late 2009) and later
Mac Pro (late 2013)
* MacBook, MacBook Air with Retina display and MacBook Pro models with Thunderbolt 3 (USB‑C) ports require a USB-C to USB Adapter (sold separately) to use Apple USB SuperDrive.
- 12-inch MacBook
- 13-inch MacBook Air with Retina display
- 13-inch MacBook Air
- 11-inch MacBook Air
- 13-inch MacBook Pro
- 15-inch MacBook Pro
- 21.5-inch iMac - Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)
- 21.5-inch iMac - Thunderbolt 2
- 27-inch iMac - Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)
- 27-inch iMac - Thunderbolt 2
- iMac Pro
- Mac Pro
- Mac mini - Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)
- Mac mini
Answers from the community
does the apple usb super drive work with the 2018 macbook air
- Asked by Christopher D V from Crosby
- on 12-Mar-2019
Yes, the 2018 Macbook Air with retina display is compatible with the Superdrive.
- Answered by Ryan B from Little Neck
- on 24-Mar-2019
Can I use my Apple Superdrive on another computer that is a PC? Will it play a DVD?
- Asked by George F from Potomac
- on 03-Mar-2019
Is the superdrive only compatible with the three macs listed under the system requirements
- Asked by Kenneth T from San Diego
- on 12-Jun-2012
The "new" Apple USB SuperDrive will only support the current Mac Mini, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro The "new" Apple USB SuperDrive will only support the current Mac Mini, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro with Retina Display. To put it another way this USB SuperDrive will only work with Macs without built-in optical drive and Macs not being able to optional built in an optical drive.
- Answered by Kang-Ling W from Schliersee
- on 13-Jun-2012
is the apple super drive compatible with a lenovo laptop?
- Asked by Angela F from South Croydon
- on 15-Jan-2019