Apple USB SuperDrive
The sleek, compact USB SuperDrive.
Everything you need in an optical drive.
Whether you’re at the office or on the road, you can play and burn both CDs and DVDs with the Apple USB SuperDrive. It’s perfect when you want to watch a DVD, install software, create backup discs and more.
Take it anywhere.
Only slightly bigger than a CD case, the Apple USB SuperDrive slips easily into your travel bag when you hit the road, and takes up little space on your desk or tray table when you’re working.
The essence of simplicity.
You’ll never have to worry about lost cables with the Apple USB SuperDrive. It connects to your MacBook Pro with Retina display, MacBook Air, iMac or Mac mini with a single USB Type-A cable that’s built into the SuperDrive. There’s no separate power adapter, and it works whether your Mac is plugged in or running on battery power.
What’s in the Box
Apple USB SuperDrive with attached USB Type-A Connector cable
17 mm / 0.67 inches
139 mm / 5.47 inches
139 mm / 5.47 inches
335 grams / 0.74 pounds
Compatible with the following computers:
MacBook Air with Retina display*
MacBook Pro with Retina display*
iMac (late 2012) and later
Mac mini (late 2009) and later
Mac Pro (late 2013)
* MacBook, MacBook Air with Retina display and MacBook Pro models with Thunderbolt 3 (USB‑C) ports require a USB-C to USB Adapter (sold separately) to use Apple USB SuperDrive.
- MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015 - 2017)
- MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015 - 2017)
- MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2015)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012 - 2015)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012 - 2015)
- iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)
- iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)
- iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
- iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
- iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
- iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014 - 2015)
- iMac Pro (2017 and later)
- Mac Pro (Late 2013)
- Mac mini (2018)
- Mac mini (Late 2014)
Answers from the community
apple super drive can it be mounted in any orientation such as vertical upside down or at an angle with no effect on performance or damage to cds
- Asked by Wendy T from Burnaby
- on 14 Feb 2020
Just my opinion but I wouldn't even challenge that. Place it silver side up and use it that way. I'v Just my opinion but I wouldn't even challenge that. Place it silver side up and use it that way. I've been seeing stories about CDs getting stuck ect. so don't tempt fate!
1 Answer(apple super drive can it be mounted in any orientation such as vertical upside down or at an angle with no effect on performance or damage to cds)
- Answered by Drew D from Keller
- on 22 Feb 2020
Can apple usb super drive work with macbook pro touch bar from 2018??
- Asked by Jenan I from København
- on 5 Jan 2020
Yes, but you will need a USB-C adapter.
- Answered by Bradley S from Stittsville
- on 6 Jan 2020
Can I use this with an iMac Late 2013
- Asked by Rodney O from Deerwood
- on 30 Jan 2020
Yes, the SuperDrive supports iMac (Late 2012) and later.
- Answered by Christopher T from South Grafton
- on 13 Feb 2020
Burning DVD's & CD's on Macbook Pro Retina
- Asked by Renee W from Ormeau Hills
- on 18 Aug 2012