Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter (for MacBook Pro with Retina display)

Get help buying. or call 1 800 MY-APPLE.
  • Overview

    The 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter features a magnetic DC connector so if someone should trip over it, the cord disconnects harmlessly and your MacBook Pro stays put safely. It also helps prevent fraying or weakening of the cables over time. In addition, the magnetic DC helps guide the plug into the system for a quick and secure connection.

    When the connection is secure, an LED located at the head of the DC connector lights up; an amber light lets you know that your notebook is charging, while a green light tells you that you have a full charge. An AC cord is provided with the adapter for maximum cord length, while the AC wall adapter (also provided) gives you an even easier and more compact way to travel.

    Designed to be the perfect traveling companion, the adapter has a clever design which allows the DC cable to be wound neatly around itself for easy cable storage.

    This power adapter recharges the lithium polymer battery while the system is off, on, or in sleep mode. It also powers the system if you choose to operate without a battery.

    Compatible with MacBook Pro with Retina display.

    Not sure if this is the right power adapter for your Mac?

    See this article for more details about choosing the right one.

    Knowing which specific Mac model you have is important. If you are running OS X Lion (10.7) or later go to the “” menu at the top left of your screen, choose “About this Mac” then click the “More Info...” button. Your Mac model and generation will be displayed.

    If you are running an earlier version of OS X, you can enter your serial number here to find out which model you have.

  • 1.5 Average
    1 out of 5 stars
    Number of stars Percentage Number of reviews
    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      NOT GOOD.

      This charger gets extremely hot and the cable is very weak. Not a good design at all had to buy another one. I hope apple refund my money on the product.

      • Written by E O from luton

      482 of 522 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?NOT GOOD.

    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      Quality - I think not

      After spending over £2500 on a laptop I would have expected the charger to have lasted a little longer that 16 months. I am not a heavy user but the charger had After spending over £2500 on a laptop I would have expected the charger to have lasted a little longer that 16 months. I am not a heavy user but the charger had now 'frayed' at the mag 2 connector showing the metal grading around the cable itself. It is a poorly designed and poorly constructed piece of equipment which lets down the whole product. I just wonder what Apple were thinking of.......

      • Written by Eric H from Wolverhampton

      376 of 392 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?Quality - I think not

    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      This product is a potential fire hazard - beware!

      The body of this power adapter overheats something terrible. It is dangerous and a fire hazard. Today the cable coming out of the main unit melted exposing the The body of this power adapter overheats something terrible. It is dangerous and a fire hazard. Today the cable coming out of the main unit melted exposing the internal wires. In the process it melted a hole in the carpet it was sitting on. Overheating seems to be a recurrent problem with this design. Tomorrow I will see what the Mac Store has to say about this. I assume that they will replace the product for free.

      • Written by Neil M from Birmingham

      335 of 372 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?This product is a potential fire hazard - beware!

    • 5.0 out of 5 stars

      Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter

      This is a great product. Have had mine for 4 years. I am buying my third Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter because I like them so much and want to have one in m This is a great product. Have had mine for 4 years. I am buying my third Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter because I like them so much and want to have one in my bedroom, my home office and now finally , my living room. It is just so much easier if I do not have to unplug and bring it with me. I heartily recommend this product. never had any problem at all.

      • Written by Holley H from Green cove springs

      0 of 2 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter

    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      I would give Zero star

      I would expect the charger that came with the machine that cost me over USD $ 4000, was of super-quality lasting for at least a decade. I treated the charger ex I would expect the charger that came with the machine that cost me over USD $ 4000, was of super-quality lasting for at least a decade. I treated the charger extremely carefully, but it didn´help at all. Personally, I think Apple should offer a new charger for free of charge to anyone using this charger. I had to pay $79.00 only for a new single charger. A crazily overpriced item with no equivalent quality. This was a huge dissapointment that I will remember for a long long time, unfortunately.

      • Written by Madoka I from Oslo

      3 of 3 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?I would give Zero star

    • 2.0 out of 5 stars

      Short life time

      From reading these reviews I've realized that I'm not the only one who's charger shorted out after just 16 months of use. To be fair I do tend to accidentally l From reading these reviews I've realized that I'm not the only one who's charger shorted out after just 16 months of use. To be fair I do tend to accidentally leave my charger on fabrics or when removing it I don't do so extremely gently but isn't that the point of MagSafe, to be able to pull the cable out without damaging it or the laptop? I think that Apple should 1.Bring back MagSafe to new laptops. 2.Make the power box bigger to try and reduce heating. 3.Make the cable going into the computer thicker as it becomes very flimsy making it brittle and maybe it being so thin be the reason why the box may overheat? I am not an expert but I would consider some changes to make the charger's life last longer and also for such a weak charger why does it cost £79!? That's just disgraceful

      • Written by Alexia B from Telford

      1 of 1 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?Short life time

  • Answers from the community