Returns & Refunds
Apple wants you to be thrilled with your new purchase. However, if you need to return an item, we're here to help.
U.S. Returns & Refunds Policy
Standard Return Policy
There are a few important things to keep in mind when returning a product you purchased online from Apple:
- You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it.
- Only items that have been purchased directly from Apple, either online or at an Apple Retail Store, can be returned to Apple. Apple products purchased through other retailers must be returned in accordance with their respective returns and refunds policy.
- Please ensure that the item you're returning is repackaged with all the cords, adapters and documentation that were included when you received it.
There are some items, however, that are ineligible for return, including:
- Opened software*
- Electronic Software Downloads
- Software Up-to-Date Program Products (software upgrades)
- Apple Store Gift Cards
- Apple Developer products (membership, technical support incidents, WWDC tickets)
- Apple Print Products
*You can return software, provided that it has not been installed on any computer. Software that contains a printed software license may not be returned if the seal or sticker on the software media packaging is broken.
Holiday Return Policy
Items purchased at the Apple Online Store that are received between November 10, 2016 and December 25, 2016, may be returned through January 8, 2017. Please note that all other terms and conditions provided in the Apple Online Store Sales and Refunds Policy are still applicable with respect to such items purchased. All purchases made after December 25, 2016 are subject to the Standard Return Policy.
iPhone and iPad Returns — Wireless Service Cancellation
Wireless carriers have different service-cancellation policies. Returning your iPhone or iPad may not automatically cancel or reset your wireless account; you are responsible for your wireless service agreement and for any applicable fees associated with your wireless account. Please contact your provider for more information.
How to Return An Item
Ship your item back to Apple
To return an item to Apple, sign in to online Order Status with your Apple ID and password.
After you sign in, you will see the items on your most recent order. Locate the item you want to return and click the Return Items link. On the next page, select the item you would like to return and click the Continue button.
Next, verify the return item and the return address on your pre-paid return label. Once you have verified your return details, click the Print Now button to print your pre-paid label and packing slip. Affix the pre-paid label to the outside of your return box. If you have multiple items to return, you may pack them in a single box with the packing slip. We recommend using the original packaging if you are returning a computer.
You can either schedule a pick up with the carrier or drop off the package at any of the carrier’s locations.
Additional steps are required when shipping an item over $2,500 from Puerto Rico to the continental United States:
- Locate the commodity code of your item at http://www.apple.com/legal/more-resources/gtc.html.
- Visit http://aesdirect.census.gov to file your shipment via the Automated Export System (AES).
- Follow the aforementioned instructions to initiate your return.
Bring your item to an Apple Store
You can always return the item to any U.S. Apple Retail Store. An Apple Specialist will assist you with your return. Your refund will be processed at that time. To locate an Apple Store in your area, please refer to the Apple Retail Store Locator.
Once we receive your item, a refund is initiated immediately. If you canceled a pickup item, and you were billed for it, we initiate your refund immediately after you submit your cancelation request. The way your refund is processed depends on your original payment method:
- If you paid by credit or debit card, refunds will be sent to the card-issuing bank within five business days of receipt of the returned item or cancelation request. Please contact the card-issuing bank with questions about when the credit will be posted to your account.
- Products purchased from the Apple Online Store using an Apple Store Gift Card will be refunded to you as an Apple Store Gift Card by email. If you’d like us to send you an Apple Store Gift Card, ask the representative helping you.
Exchange an item
If you purchased your item from Apple in the U.S., you can take it to any U.S. Apple Retail Store for an exchange. Item exchanges are, of course, subject to in-store product availability. It's a good idea to check in-stock availability by calling the Apple Retail Store, or by viewing the product on the Apple.com to see if the item is available for pick up locally. Personalized items and custom-configured Macs may not be eligible for exchange at an Apple Retail Store.
Items ordered online from Apple that arrived damaged or are incorrect can be returned to any U.S. Apple Retail Store, or by contacting Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775.
Return a gift
Visit the Account tab on Apple.com and click Return Items. Select the Gift Return option to proceed.
Provide your product serial number or order number. If you use your order number, you’ll also need to provide your UPC . You can review items eligible for return at this time.
Note: You can only return items from one order at a time.
Provide your contact information to submit your return.
The proceeding Thank You page will provide instructions for how to complete your return. Print the label from the Thank You page and attach to the outside of your shipping box before you send it back to Apple using the carrier indicated on your pre-paid return shipping label. We’ll let you know when we receive the return.
If you need help with your gift return, please call an Apple Store Specialist at 1-800-MY-APPLE. You can also return eligible items to an Apple Retail Store.
Once we receive your items, we'll email your refund in the form of an electronic Apple Gift Card.
You can use your gift card to shop on the U.S. Apple Online Store or at any U.S. Apple Retail Store.
For more information about Apple Store Gift Cards and how to redeem, visit the Gifting page.
For more information, please read the U.S. .