Apple USB SuperDrive
The sleek, compact USB SuperDrive.
Everything you need in an optical drive.
Whether you’re at the office or on the road, you can play and burn both CDs and DVDs with the Apple USB SuperDrive. It’s perfect when you want to watch a DVD movie, install software, create backup discs, and more.
Take it anywhere.
Only slightly bigger than a CD case, the Apple USB SuperDrive slips easily into your travel bag when you hit the road and takes up little space on your desk or tray table when you’re working.
The essence of simplicity.
You’ll never have to worry about lost cables with the Apple USB SuperDrive. It connects to your MacBook Pro with Retina display*, MacBook Air, iMac, or Mac mini with a single USB Type-A cable that’s built into the SuperDrive. There’s no separate power adapter, and it works whether your Mac is plugged in or running on battery power.
What’s in the Box
Apple USB SuperDrive with attached USB Type-A Connector cable
Compatible with the following computers:
MacBook Air with Retina display*
MacBook Pro with Retina display*
iMac (late 2012) and later
Mac mini (late 2009) and later
Mac Pro (late 2013)
* MacBook, MacBook Air with Retina display, and MacBook Pro models with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports require a USB-C to USB Adapter (sold separately) to use Apple USB SuperDrive.
- MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015 - 2017)
- MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015 - 2017)
- MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2015)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012 - 2015)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012 - 2015)
- iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)
- iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)
- iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
- iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
- iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
- iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014 - 2015)
- iMac Pro (2017 and later)
- Mac Pro (Late 2013)
- Mac mini (2018)
- Mac mini (Late 2014)
Answers from the community
Can I use with new 16” MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Jo Ann M from Niceville
- on Nov 24, 2019
Yes, however it appears that you'll need to purchase a USB-C to USB Adapter ($19.00).
- Answered by Antoine D from Durango
- on Dec 2, 2019
what region is the super drive
- Asked by michele D from laurel
- on Nov 13, 2019
I don't have a real answer for you. It depends on where you bought the SuperDrive.
When you pu I don't have a real answer for you. It depends on where you bought the SuperDrive.
When you put a DVD in the SuperDrive, it will tell you on your computer screen what region it is set for.
However, mine is set for -1. Who ever heard of a negative region???
Directions for setting the region will appear on your screen when you insert the DVD into the SuperDrive.
You can change the region only 5 times. I am not able to change it even once! It rejects my Apple ID and Username (the same one that works here in this community).
I wish you the best of luck in solving your question. I hope what I have written will help.
- Answered by Marjorie C from Prescott
- on Nov 30, 2019
Compatible with Catalina? And is it a DVD BURNER.
- Asked by Cathy S from Chicago
- on Dec 12, 2019
Does the usb superdrive dvd and cd connect to my apple tv
- Asked by emma ffion A from pwllheli
- on Aug 29, 2014
Can I attach this with a thunderbolt cable?
- Asked by Robert H from Gladstone
- on Mar 28, 2014
No, It uses USB only.
- Answered by Scott B from York
- on Apr 4, 2014
Can movies purchased from iTunes be put on to this & will they play when device is plugged into a normal TV?
- Asked by Lynn D from Middlemount
- on Jun 11, 2014